Earthbag Dome Guest House in Thailand
10-18 February 2014
A wonderful opportunity to gain complete hands-on experience of all stages of constructing a large 4 metre diameter earthbag dome which will be used as a guest house in a beautiful location in Northern Thailand.
A wonderful opportunity to gain hands-on experience of all stages of constructing a large 4 metre diameter earthbag dome which will be used as a guest house in a beautiful location in Northern Thailand.
The workshop will be lead by Paulina Wojciechowska, a qualified architect who has over 17 years of experience building with earthbags. Paulina worked alongside Nader Khalili at Cal-Earth in 1996 and is the author of “Building with Earth”, one of the leading earthbag building books.
The workshop will bring together like minded people in a fun and friendly atmosphere. Topics covered will include:
– Theory of earthbag stucture foundations.
– Building an earthbag dome from an existing concrete base. Creating earthbag walls using both single bags and earthbag tubes.
– Different techniques using arches and lintels to construct doorways and windows within the earthbag structure.
– Ensuring the structure is stable through the correct use of buttressing and corbelling based upon the nature of the earth used to fill the bags.
– The theory and some short practice of clay plastering techniques applicable to earthbag dome structures.
Come to enjoy, learn, and make new friends!
See www.earthhandsandhouses.org for more details.
Earthhandsandhouses.org runs earthbag workshops around the world, based on real building projects: their next workshop is this one in Thailand in February 2014 and there will be one or more held in Europe in the summer of 2014.