I’m always on the lookout for sustainable natural building materials. Recycled glass insulation is not only made in part with recycled glass, it’s also effective at reducing energy costs and improving the acoustics in homes and businesses. EcoBatt insulation caught my eye because it appears to be the largest brand of recycled, non-toxic glass insulation in the US. A few other brands are listed below, some of which are available in Europe.
EcoBatt insulation: “EcoBatt Insulation combines sand, one of the world’s most abundant and renewable resources, post-consumer recycled bottle glass and ECOSE Technology to create the next generation of sustainable insulation…naturally from Knauf.
Features & Benefits:
• Made primarily from sand, one of the world’s most abundant and renewable resources
• Lower embodied energy than our traditional batts
• Rapidly renewable binder eliminates petroleum-based chemicals
• Contains no phenol, formaldehyde, acrylics or artificial colors
• High Recycled Content — contains a minimum of 61.9% post-consumer recycled content
• Thermally Efficient — excellent insulating value
• Acoustical Performance”