The hub for the Moravian Church in the Americas was Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The Historic Moravian Bethlehem District encompasses the community’s oldest surviving buildings and preserves what was once the center of Moravian religious activity. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2012 and is now being nominated for the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The early Moravians were adventurers, and by some accounts, the world’s first feminists. They left Europe for America in the 18th century and brought their faith, which welcomed people of all backgrounds and gave women and men equal rights.
In the Historic Moravian Bethlehem District, there are more original structures than Colonial Williamsburg and the district’s 1741 community house is believed to be the largest 18th-century log structure in continuous use in the United States. The entire district, which spans around 14 acres in the city of Bethlehem, is a true reflection of the 18th century community. According to the Historic Bethlehem Museum & Sites, “Today, a Moravian from the mid-1700s would feel at home walking the streets of Historic Moravian Bethlehem.”
You can read the original article at www.travelandleisure.com