What is the Earthbag Home Shield? It is a steel roof system intended to cover and protect an earthbag home.
The one aspect of earthbag construction that I struggled with the most was the roof. We here at Cozy Home Plans have come up with a great option to cover your EB home.
Benefits of an Earthbag Shield:
– It provides a completely covered and protected work area during the construction of your EB home.
– Aids in the necessary UV protection required during the construction phase.
– It gives you a completed primary roof allowing for many more cost effective options when choosing your ceiling options.
– The Shield creates an air void in between both structures to aid in heating and cooling the home.
– The roof trusses allow points for the anchoring and stabilizing of the walls to the roof.
– It gives your home a more traditional Ranch home look after the walls are finished.
The EB Shield is available in three different sizes… The 24′ x30′ is pictured above. Just add dirt, windows, doors, insulation, permission from your local building authority plus a few more things, mix together. Voila… you have a home that you probably paid cash for and did most of the work yourself.
24’ x 30’ $3,897.00 Includes 1000 new 18” x 30” Polypropylene Bags and Bonus Kit
24’ x 40’ $4,497.00 Includes 1300 new 18” x 30” Polypropylene Bags and Bonus Kit
24’ x 50’ $4,997.00 Includes 1500 new 18” x 30” Polypropylene Bags and Bonus Kit
Source: Cozy Home Plans
Earthbag buildings tips for solo builders
[This idea is popular with strawbale builders to protect the bales during and after construction. It’s especially practical in harsh climates, where it’s blazing hot or where there’s heavy snow or rain. Wide roof overhangs like this protect the plaster, doors and windows, and create wrap-around porches — a nice way to add extended living space at low cost (this is a topic of an upcoming blog post). Also note, you can use various roof styles to gain the same benefits.]