“One Community is a low-impact living model demonstrating large-scale sustainability and fulfilled living as the open source blueprints for a sustainable civilization. Our mission is to demonstrate a new way of living that addresses the pressing problems of today and prepares the world for the challenges of the next century through a duplicable model of large-scale sustainability for the complete human experience founded on a simple celebration of what we are capable of: zero waste living and completely sustainable lifestyle practices, inspired collaboration and global contribution, and unconditional love for each other.
One Community Living Pods
Low impact development housing is more cost effective, lasts longer, and is built from resources that are readily available. To demonstrate what is possible, One Community will host a low-impact development of 7 different communal living pods of 15-50 single-family residences each representing a different ecobuild methodology. All structures are designed with four things in mind: our open source goals and the creation of duplicable and cost effective alternative housing options, showcasing of the diversity of eco-building methods, demonstrating innovative designs with unique aesthetic beauty, and maximized functionality while each contributing something unique to the recreation aspects of One Community. Foundations of our model of building beyond structure self-sustainability are:
• Off-grid innovative energy saving designs
• Theme based Pod distinction
• Building as an expression of art and beauty
• Maximal use of sustainable building materials
• Maximal use of recycled and reclaimed materials
• Common area kitchens, computer rooms, etc.
• Communal living vs. individual living structures
• Cohesive building with nature, not over nature
• Community built for efficiency and socialization
• Compact living surrounded by tons of space
• Every new pod built using a different eco-building method and renewable construction material
POD #1 – Semi-subterranean Earthbag Construction and Central Tropical Dome (earthbag, see drawing above)
POD #2 – Straw-bale Hacienda Pod – Straw-bale Construction
POD #3 – Hobbit Home Pod – Cob Construction
POD #4 – Pyramid Pod – Earth Block Construction
POD #5 – Underground Pod – Subterranean Construction
POD #6 – Earthship Pod – Reclaimed Materials Construction
POD #7 – Tree House Pod”
I love hearing about projects like this. Wow! It’s going to be in the Pacific Northwest. There’s a lot more on their website. Please take a look. They’re going to open source their plans, publish thousands of documents, hundreds of videos, etc. to help start other similar projects.